Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 1228
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– I’m Colin Receveur, CEO of SmartBox.
– The current state of dental insurance probably isn’t sustainable in the long run.
– Companies like Delta Dental reportedly give lip service to the idea of better patient outcomes.
– But they’re focused much more on shareholder value and C-suite bonuses.
– In many ways, dental insurance has become as much or more of a barrier to care than it is a help.
– Just ask the 1500 Washington state member dentists who filed a vote of no confidence petition with Delta Dental, also known as Washington Dental Service or WDS.
– They’re asking that the WDS board remove the current CEO, Jim Dwyer, who’s scheduled to retire next January.
– Dr. Cynthia Pauley, the current president of the Washington State Dental Association, said, “Under Mr. Dwyer’s tenure, Washington Dental Service …
– “… which should be a key partner with our profession in driving better patient outcomes …
– “… has instead become a barrier and antagonist to the dental profession.”
– Things have been brewing between Delta and its member dentists in Washington for some time, so this shouldn’t come as a surprise.
– Those dentists are fed up with unresponsive, profit-focused dental insurance companies.
– You probably are, too.
– We’re used to seeing dental insurance as just a fact of life, but we forget that the horse and buggy used to be a fact of life.
– Then something better came along, and the horse and buggy became a footnote in history.
– There’s no way to know for sure how dental insurance will evolve.
– But there is a way to make it pretty much irrelevant to your practice’s success.
– And that is to attract patients who really don’t care much about what their dental insurance policy will cover.
– Instead of operating a quantity practice, switch to a quality approach by getting better patients.
– You might be thinking that’s impossible.
– It’s true that making that switch relies in part on your market’s demographics.
– But SmartBox has helped hundreds of dentists make the transition to a “better patient” practice.
– One of those dentists is Dr. James Kiehl of southern New Hampshire.
– He told us, “Some of the advertising I’ve done in the past was more offer-driven, free exam, X-ray kinds of things.
– “When you bring patients in that way, you’re chasing them with the next offer or they’re chasing you for the next offer, all the way down the line.
– “With the Patient Attraction System®, a lot of the new patients already are very knowledgeable about what they’re looking for.
– “Just the other day, I had a patient come in specifically wanting to talk about implants.
– “He had heard us talk about implants and was ready to move forward.
– “That’s been nice to have them come in already pre-educated as to what we do here.
– “Since we’ve implemented our SmartBox Patient Attraction System®, we’re definitely getting the quality patients that I want to see come into my practice.”
– Discover whether you can make dental insurance irrelevant to your practice’s success.
– Visit smartboxdental.com and reserve your free, no-obligation Practice Discovery Session™.
– We’ll discuss your goals, your capabilities, and your particular market.
– After the session, you’ll receive your free Patient Attraction Roadmap™ as well.
– You can have less hassle, better dental patients, and more enjoyment from both your profession and life.
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.