Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 1133
Dentists in the United States sometimes chafe under the advertising restrictions imposed by their state dental associations. But if you look at our neighbors to the north, you’ll see just how good you have it … if only by comparison. What would you do if the rules didn’t allow you to tout your experience or to post testimonials? After the break, I’ll be back to tell you what U.S. dentists can learn from one Canadian dentist’s experience. Stay tuned.
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– I’m Colin Receveur, founder and CEO of SmartBox.
– The Alberta Dental Association and College, or ADA&C, takes a dim view of a lot of things that American dentists take for granted.
– In December 2017, the Association sanctioned an Alberta dentist for advertising.
– The one-year suspension and 175 thousand dollar fine was imposed for ethics breaches, primarily in his advertising.
– Now, this story isn’t nearly as straightforward as it might sound.
– You see, the ADA&C is all for advertising, but not if it makes one dentist sound better than another dentist.
– Dentists in Alberta aren’t allowed to tout their experience or even use the word “experienced.”
– Apparently, that would make one dentist sound superior to another.
– It’s okay if a dentist is superior because of a particular technique or piece of equipment.
– But it’s not okay if he or she has decades more experience in, say, implants or cosmetic dentistry.
– The ADA&C isn’t fond of patient testimonials, either, because testimonials “often are emotional; there is a subjective nature to them that is difficult for us to validate or verify.”
– And before-and-after pictures are apparently misleading to dental prospects when used in advertising, but it’s okay to use them in the office with a patient in your chair.
– Coupons are fine, as long as they don’t have expiration dates.
– No, seriously, any coupon by an Alberta dentist has to be good forever.
– The Competition Bureau stated, “A balance must be struck between competition and ensuring Albertans have all the information they need to choose a dentist.”
– From the outside, it looks as if the Competition Bureau is coming down a bit too heavy on dentists.
– Now, I’m not bringing this up to point out how good U.S. dentists have it when it comes to advertising.
– The point is that differentiation is essential to successfully marketing your practice.
– The ADA&C seems to be focused on making all dentists seem the same to patients.
– It always surprises me how many U.S. dentists do the same thing to themselves.
– They advertise the same way as their competition – on price, discounts, coupons, and insurance.
– There’s nothing special about any of that, and that means there’s nothing special about that dentist.
– Market your practice like that, and you’re just another dentist.
– And all dentists are presumed to be competent these days.
– Why on earth would you want to be “just another dentist”?
– And why on earth would you want to get mostly price-shoppers, insurance-driven patients, and one-and-dones?
– Those patients have absolutely no loyalty to your practice, and you’ll spend a chunk of money on marketing to replace them.
– Exercise the freedom you enjoy under our system to stand out from the great mass of dentists.
– Of course, you’ll need to change your marketing approach, but the results are more than worth it.
– SmartBox works with more than 550 dentists on 3 continents to help them get more and better patients.
– Our industry-leading Patient Attraction System™ works to position our dentists as the best and only logical choice for their prospects.
– Dr. Travis Watson of Marietta, Georgia, decided to go for better patients with his marketing.
– He said, “A consistent goal that we have is to continue to have the new patients come in that are high-quality …
– “who are interested in comprehensive dentistry, and really just want something better for themselves and aren’t just what we call single-tooth type situations.
– “They’re more of the fine cases that we enjoy doing, so that’s always going to be a goal for us as we move forward with a company like SmartBox to help us with that.”
– Discover what our Patient Attraction System™ can do for your practice.
– Visit smartboxdental.com and reserve your no-cost, no-obligation Practice Discovery Session™.
– After the session, you’ll receive your free Patient Attraction Roadmap™ as well.
– We’ll show you how SmartBox provides a steady stream of new patients so you can focus on doing the dentistry.
– We’ll also show you how to get patients who don’t consider you to be “just another dentist.”
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.