Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 1257
– I’m Colin Receveur, CEO of SmartBox.
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– It’s my firm opinion that dentistry was never intended to be a high-volume business.
– Back in the day, before dental insurance, it wasn’t like this.
– People paid cash or worked out payment terms for the services they received.
– Generally, the successful dental practices attracted people with discretionary income.
– That all changed once dental insurance was established as an optional employee benefit.
– True, dentists probably got more cleanings, routine exams, extractions, and drill-and-fills than before.
– But those are low-value procedures, and you have to do a lot of them to make any real money.
– The problem got even worse once the growth in wages started lagging behind the cost of dental care.
– It became common for people to rely on insurance to pay for even routine treatment.
– Today, you’re probably getting phone call after phone call where the first question is, “Do you take my insurance?”
– And the second question is, “How much of the cost will my insurance cover?”
– In the last few years, as insurance companies have shifted more of the payment burden to patients, price shopping has become the norm.
– That’s true even with full employment like we have now, because wages still haven’t caught up.
– Today, the deadly dental treadmill of high-volume, low-value dentistry is everywhere.
– But you know what?
– That doesn’t have to be your practice.
– There are any number of practices out there that don’t market to low-value dental patients.
– They’ve set their sights higher, and they’re reaping the benefits.
– The cure for the dental treadmill is attracting better dental patients.
– Better patients can make up 30 percent or even more of your market.
– These are patients with the financial resources and the willingness to pay more for their dentist of choice.
– They don’t care much about price or about insurance coverage.
– They want what they want, from the dentist they want – things like cosmetic dentistry, implants, and full-mouth restorations.
– And they’ll pay, often up front, to get it.
– Just imagine your schedule filled with a comfortable number of interesting, higher-value cases.
– You can take more time with each patient and practice the dentistry you want to practice.
– You can stop running between operatories.
– You can even leave the office at a reasonable hour and enjoy some well-earned time away.
– Dr. James Kiehl of southern New Hampshire has found the key to getting better patients.
– He said, “Some of the advertising I’ve done in the past was more offer driven, free exam, X-ray kinds of things.
– “When you bring patients in that way, you’re chasing them with the next offer or they’re chasing you for the next offer, all the way down the line.
– “Since we’ve implemented our SmartBox Patient Attraction System, we’re definitely getting the quality patients that I want to see come into my practice.”
– If you’re ready to work less, earn more, and enjoy life again, here’s the first step.
– Visit smartboxdental.com and reserve your no-cost, no-obligation Practice Discovery Session™.
– We’ll create a strategic plan to get you off the dental treadmill and enjoying dentistry again.
– After the session, you’ll receive your free Patient Attraction Roadmap™ as well.
– It’s yours to use however you wish – there’s no obligation.
– Treadmills are good for exercise but not so much as a way to make a living.
– Say goodbye to the treadmill for good with SmartBox.
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.