Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 1160
There’s an old saying – be careful what you wish for. I’ll add another, not so old saying – be careful what you market for. Too many dentists are still advertising like their competitors – on low price, insurance acceptance, and specials. If you’re one of those doctors, the types of patients you get probably don’t exactly rock the cash register, if you know what I mean. After the break, I’ll tell you how to market to better patients who will let you work less and earn more.
– I’m Colin Receveur, CEO of SmartBox.
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– Let me ask you a question.
– When was the last time you saw an orthopedic surgeon advertising a special offer?
– Never, that’s when.
– Orthopedic surgeons are pretty much an elite group, and they expect to command hefty fees for their work – even for relatively minor procedures.
– That’s not to say that a patient couldn’t price-shop among surgeons, but that hardly ever happens.
– What I’m getting at is that those doctors recognize the value of the services they provide and charge accordingly.
– Now, dentistry isn’t orthopedic surgery, but dentists are also an elite group.
– So why don’t they act like it?
– That’s always puzzled me.
– If you don’t recognize the value of what you do and charge accordingly, you’re selling yourself short.
– If you see yourself as a commodity provider, you’ll earn a lot less than you could.
– In almost any given market, some 20 to 30 percent of dental prospects have the ability and willingness to pay more for the right dentist.
– It’s true that some markets just won’t support premium pricing, so to speak.
– But those are the exceptions rather than the rule.
– The road to better patients and more money begins with you.
– If you’ve been running a volume dental practice, you have to make the decision to evolve.
– That begins with assessing what you offer to patients.
– Not just the services, but also the experience you provide while they’re communicating with or actually inside your practice.
– Better patients are motivated more by the relationship they establish with the practice than by financial concerns.
– Once you’ve zeroed in on the unique value you offer, you need to communicate that in every aspect of your marketing.
– That’s not an easy thing to do for dentists who are used to advertising low price.
– Your website will almost certainly need a rewrite.
– Your social media and blog will need to adopt the new approach.
– And any offline advertising such as newspaper ads or postcard campaigns must include some mention of the advantages of choosing you.
– That applies even if you continue advertising low price for a while longer.
– Like I said, it’s not easy for a volume dental practice to embrace a new marketing approach.
– Everyone in the practice is busy, and there’s not a lot of time for all the writing.
– Not to mention all the planning, search engine optimization, and other work that goes into the new marketing strategy.
– Most dentists will do better to outsource their marketing and focus on their patients.
– That’s what Dr. Jonathan Gilbart of Hagerstown, Maryland, did.
– Here’s what he said.
– “I’ve had different companies in the past.
– “They’re good at this, they’re good at that, but they don’t put it all together.
– “I don’t have time to put it all together.
– “I want to focus on my patients and focus on what their needs are.
– “I like to tinker with the stuff, but to be honest, I’m not that great at it.
– “So, I wanted to find a company that could do everything, as far as marketing, for me.
– “I decided to make the leap of faith, and I’m glad that I did.
– “Because I’ve been very happy with SmartBox and their ability to take all the stuff, put it together, and handle that aspect so I can focus on my patients.”
– SmartBox helps dentists get the patients they want – better patients.
– Our industry-leading Patient Attraction System® positions dentists as the doctor of choice for the patients they want to attract.
– Get started by visiting smartboxdental.com and reserve your free, no-obligation Practice Discovery Session™.
– We’ll discuss your goals, your capabilities, and your particular market.
– After the session, you’ll receive your free Patient Attraction Roadmap™ as well.
– What you do isn’t a commodity business, and you shouldn’t market as though it is.
– We’ll help you get the patients you want so you can work less and earn more.
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.