Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 1127
Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, and the expectations are high. Hopefully, your plans are already finalized. This is the observed commercial holiday when a certain number of actions and a certain performance level are expected … if not demanded. It might surprise you that Valentine’s Day, as we know it today, can serve as a model for dental practice success. If that sounds like an outrageous idea, hang around. I’ll be back after the break to tell you how to make the principles behind the modern Valentine’s Day work for your practice.
– I’m Colin Receveur.
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– Valentine’s Day used to be very different.
– There is a long historical tradition of sweethearts exchanging tokens of affection on Valentine’s Day.
– Those tokens might have been poems, trinkets, or something else that wouldn’t break the bank.
– Valentine’s Day began to be commercialized in the 19th century.
– And yes, even then, there were voices wailing about how awful it was that the original meaning of the day was being lost.
– In the early 20th century, Hallmark began selling Valentine’s Day cards.
– And the rest is history.
– Today, Valentine’s Day is a billion-dollar industry.
– So, what does this have to do with dentistry, you ask?
– Just this: Those early marketers seized control of the conversation around a single topic.
– They used that control to define expectations and expected practices.
– And they thrived.
– The vast majority of dentists don’t take that approach – controlling the conversation and shaping expectations.
– At least, not outside of their practices – and certainly not in their marketing.
– Most dentists advertise their services the same way that Target advertises:
– Low prices, specials, savings, and discounts.
– It’s a time-honored tradition of dentists pitching their products to the public.
– But that tradition’s time has come and gone, because there’s simply too much competition today.
– It’s like every restaurant in a metropolitan area going on an advertising blitz at the same time.
– It’s enormously expensive and ultimately not very useful.
– What if you refused to play the same old tired game as your competitors?
– What if you could seize control of the conversation around dentistry in your market?
– You could reshape expectations for your prospects and quite a few of your competitors’ prospects.
– You could get more patients, and even more important, you could get the cream of the crop, so to speak.
– Those early Valentine’s Day marketers did it.
– They convinced people to spend money for something that historically was free or nearly so.
– And now a large chunk of the population spends a lot of money on Valentine’s Day.
– Let’s be clear – it takes time and effort to reshape expectations and convince people to act differently.
– It’s not something you can hope to accomplish through advertising.
– Advertising isn’t a conversation, it’s a speech.
– Today’s conversations are happening online.
– Conversations happen in social media, on your blog, and on your website.
– The online environment is the ideal modern venue to seize control of the conversation.
– But it’s not a quick-hit success strategy.
– And it’s a lot of work, more than most dentists can manage.
– In a nutshell, taking control of online conversation and reshaping expectations is what SmartBox does for more than 550 dentists on 3 continents.
– Our industry-leading Patient Attraction System™ works 24/7 to help dentists get more and better patients.
– And we do that in large part by changing the dialogue around dentists and dentistry for our doctors.
– I’ll let Dr. Sean Hanson of Salem, Oregon, tell you about the results SmartBox achieves for him.
– He said, “The fact that we’re getting 70 new people a month that are still willing to come and see us on a Monday through Thursday type deal …
– “… which I know isn’t ideal for most people …
– “… means that we’re doing something right, and you guys are doing something right …
– “… because we’re driving people to our door who want to come in and will make an adjustment to their schedule to come and see us and make it a priority.”
– If you’re interested in seeing what SmartBox can do for your practice, here’s your next step.
– Visit smartboxdental.com and reserve your free Practice Discovery Session™.
– We’ll show you a Patient Attraction System™ that can double or even triple your practice.
– And you’ll later receive your free, completely personalized Patient Attraction Roadmap™.
– Have a happy Valentine’s Day, and a much more profitable 2018.
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.